The Jay County Public Library tax district includes all of Jay County except the City of Dunkirk, Pennville and Penn Township which are served by the Dunkirk and Pennville libraries. For service to Jay County residents outside the tax district see “Reciprocal Borrowers” below.
Proper Identification is one of the following:
- a valid Indiana Driver’s License which displays a current address;
- a valid Indiana State ID which displays a current address;
- a current government issued photo ID (e.g., military ID, passport).
- a valid identification issued by another State (e.g., Driver’s License)
- valid current university or college identification (e.g., Student identification)
If the presented Proper Identification does not display a current address, the applicant must present one item from the Recommended List in addition to the Indiana Driver’s License, Indiana State ID or other government issued photo ID presented as Proper Identification. The ID presented from the Recommended List must include a current address.
Recommended List of ID includes:
- valid voter registration card,
- computer generated bank statement issued in applicant’s name within the last 30 days
- computer generated utility, credit card company, doctor or hospital bill, issued in applicant’s name within the last 30 days and containing address of residence
- Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement issued in the applicant’s name within the last 30 days
- Change – of – address confirmation from the United States Postal Service showing prior and current address of residence (a P.O. Box is not acceptable as a residence address)
- apartment lease signed within the last 30 days
- property tax receipt issued in applicant’s name
Borrowers 17 years of age or younger must have registration forms signed by a parent or legal guardian. That person must provide proof of identification and address as above.
Borrower card categories and requirements
Resident: individual who lives in the tax district as a permanent resident or who can show proof of ownership of real estate in the tax district (Jay County with the exception of the City of Dunkirk*, Town of Pennville and Penn Township).
*City of Dunkirk residents can use their Dunkirk Library Evergreen cards at the Jay County Public Library.
Evergreen borrower: An individual whose home library is a member of the Evergreen Indiana consortium and has the borrowing privileges associated with same.
Reciprocal: a resident borrower of one of the libraries Jay County Public Library has a reciprocal agreement with including Pennville and Ridgeville libraries. Borrower must present “home” library card to obtain Jay County Public Library card. Reciprocal borrowers may use the Jay County Public Library issued Evergreen card only at Jay County Public Library.
NOTE: on 4-12-2011 the Dunkirk library became part of the Evergreen Indiana consortium. Those Dunkirk cardholders who have held reciprocal cards with Jay County Public Library should register in Dunkirk. Their new cards can be used at any Evergreen library as Evergreen borrowers (see above).
Public Library Access Card (PLAC): a non-resident who is a registered borrower at another Indiana public library and has purchased an annual PLAC card (cost for the year 2016 is $65). PLAC card must then be presented to obtain Jay County Public Library card.
Temporary: an individual residing in the tax district 7 – 90 days. Requires countersignature of resident host or temporary employer.
Non-resident: any potential borrower who does not fall under one of the above categories. Cost of non-resident card is currently $48 per year.